Monday, April 28, 2014

Farms aren't only in the Midwest...

But the midwest is where I grew up and there were farms and barns with animals, old jalopies parked out to rust, and fields as far as you could see in many areas. In fact we lived very close to Amish country. I used to spend time at my friend's family farm in my late teens, even drove the tractor and baler. So designing a barn kit was not a stretch for me.  Even here in Oregon there are farms and ranches galore, indeed from coast to coast and even in the town where I raised my family up in Alaska!.

And, of course, farms are far from exclusive to the USA, in fact before the white settlers came here there probably were no farms like you see them now. When I visited places like Sweden and Scotland I saw many, many farms and they very likely have existed for generations before the US was colonized. Some barns are unique to specific areas or to specific types of farming but you can count on the ordinary barn being just about anywhere.

The town where I grew up was known as the "Magic City" because it became a town very quickly and specifically because of one man, O.C. Barber. No surprise that the town was named Barberton. Mr. Barber was a generous man and he had money. There he built a beautiful mansion and some of the most gorgeous brick barns ever built. Sadly only some of the barns remain today.

In memory of my hometown and it's rich farming history I named my rural kit the "Barber Barn Big Box Kit". For now it is only in 1:220 scale, or Z scale. Why do we call some of our kits Big Box? Simple answer is because it usually includes many more items and/or structures than just the basic building. Take a look:

As you can see in the first photo there is a 9V battery to give you an idea how small these structures are.





You can find this kit here.




No comments:

Post a Comment